Loss or theft
Your smartphone or tablet’s compact size and value makes it vulnerable to loss or theft. Our guidance below will help you keep it and its contents secure.
Setting up protection for your device
- Protect your smartphone or tablet’s contents by setting up a password or PIN on the lock screen.
- Install and set up a reputable tracking app so that you can attempt to trace your device if mislaid or stolen.
- Make a note of your phone’s IMEI (serial) number – this will help you be reunited with it should it be lost or stolen.
- Regularly back up your important data including your photos.
- Take out insurance to cover the cost of your device should the worst happen.
For more detailed guidance go to our Secure Your Device guidance.
Preventing theft of your device
- Never leave your device unattended in a public place including leaving it lying on a table when sitting outside a café.
- Never leave your device unattended when visible through a window – such as in your home or in your car.
- When staying in hotels take it with you when you leave the room or lock it in the safe.
- When carrying your device don’t leave it where it can be taken by a pickpocket – such as in an easily accessible or open compartment of a handbag or rucksack.
- Be aware of what’s going on around you when using your device in public places.
If your device is lost or stolen
- If stolen notify the Police and make a note of the loss or crime reference number so that it can be tracked or an insurance claim made.
- Let us know so that we can disable services for your device.
- Registering your device on Immobolise.com will help the Police reunite your device with you if it is recovered after being lost or stolen.