Phone down the loo? C'mon, we've all been there. Now, here's what to do about it. Time to rummage around for that packet of Tilda Basmati in the kitchen cupboard...
At one time or another, we are all probably going to end up dropping our phones down the loo. It’s a fact of life. Now here’s what to do about it…
“Dropped my mobile in the toilet…”
First of all, don’t be embarrassed. (Well, we suppose it depends upon the circumstances).
The majority of phones get damaged in some way or another. The most common problem is a cracked screen, but water damage comes a close second.
Nearly half of all mobile phones that have suffered some kind of water damage did so by being dropped down the toilet. So if it happens to you, you’re certainly not the first.
Secondly, don’t panic. Years ago, it would have been game over instantly, especially if you didn’t have mobile insurance. Now though, it’s not always the end. Luckily most newer models like the Samsung S8 or iPhone 7 now come IP68 rated, which means they should survive those quick drops in water up to 1.5m. But when it comes to you and your phone, you can’t put a price on caution!
Bring it back from the brink.
- Get your device away from the liquid you’ve dropped it into (Duh).
- Carefully remove the case, SIM and battery (if you can). Take the phone apart as much as possible. Bonus: you get to see all the cool things happening inside of it.
- Dab at any visible liquid with a cloth to help soak it up. Make sure that you don’t use a tissue or any sort of cloth that could leave fluff or fibres.
- Place your phone into a bowl of uncooked rice for a few hours. You’ve probably heard this a thousand times before but it really works. This will help to soak up any remaining moisture, even the stuff you can’t see.
- Leave your phone to dry out for at least 12 hours. Don’t turn it on in that time, even if you’re really tempted. It’s also important to not try to dry it in any other way (like with your hairdryer or space heater).
- Try turning it on again – hopefully it will be OK. Until the next time you drop it into a toilet, that is…
Three Rescue™ has it covered
Losing or breaking your phone: it happens. But losing all your contacts, photos and videos? That’s not right at all. If you take out Three Rescue, if your phone is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including being dropped down the loo!), we’ll get you back up and running the next day.
The insurance is designed to protect your phone, tablet or dongle against the risk of loss, theft, damage and out-of-warranty breakdown. It comes with the Three Rescue app, so you can back up your phone information and lock your missing phone to keep your personal details away from prying eyes.
Three Rescue has everything you need, so you can get your life back with just one call. #makeitright
Main pic credit: Via pixabay/chriskeller